Paneer Tikka – a famous vegetarian starter.
Paneer tikka is a popular vegetarian appetizer, loved by many. This is one of the most common vegetarian appetizer which the vegetarians order, while dining out. Paneer and vegetable cubes are marinated in a mixture of curds, spices and grilled in a tandoor. The restaurant style tandoori paneer tikka has a smoky flavour, the paneer cubes are slightly charred on the outside, and is soft from within. The same recipe can be recreated at home in a pan, without a tandoor. The key to a perfect paneer tikka is right marination and the smoky flavour. Here is the recipe for Paneer Tikka:
400 grams cottage cheese (paneer)
½ cup hung curds (dahi)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste (adrak lehsun paste)
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
½ tsp garam masala
1 tbsp roasted gram flour (besan)
1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
salt as per taste (namak)
½ cup onions, cut in quarters (pyaaz)
½ cup green capsicum cubes (Shimla mirch)
½ cup red capsicum cubes (laal shimla mirch)
For cooking paneer tikka
1 tbsp oil (tel)
2 tsp butter (makkhan)
For the smoky flavour
A small piece of charcoal
1 tsp clarified butter (ghee)
- In a mixing bowl, add hung curds, ginger garlic paste, kasuri methi, salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garam masala, carom seeds, oil and roasted gram flour. Mix well.
- Now, add onions, green capsicum and red capsicum . Mix well.
- Add paneer cubes and mix gently till they are coated well with the marinade.
- Keep this aside for 15 minutes.
- Skewer the vegetables and paneer and set them aside.
- While putting the vegetables and paneer in the skewer, ensure that you begin with a capsicum and then keep alternating between paneer, onion and capsicum and end with a capsicum or onion cube, so that the paneer cubes are held firmly.
- If using bamboo skewers, keep them immersed in the water for 30 minutes before using.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 1 tsp butter. When the butter starts melting, place the paneer tikka skewers on the pan.
- Allow it to cook on a low flame. Keep turning the skewers and cook on all sides.
- For the smoky flavour, place a piece of dry charcoal on an open flame.
- Let it burn till the charcoal turns red in colour.
- Pick up the charcoal with the help of tongs and place it in a steel bowl,
- Place this bowl on the pan containing paneer tikka skewers.
- Add a teaspoon of ghee on the hot coal.
- The ghee will melt and smoke will emanate from it.
- Cover the pan for 2 minutes for the smoky flavour to infuse.
- Transfer paneer tikka skewers to a serving plate.
- Serve with green chutney, onion rings and lemon wedges.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: