Purple Yam Kheer – a winter delicacy.
Purple yam is also one of the vegetables that is available during winter. This starchy root vegetable is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants. Purple yam has an unique texture and bright purple colour, due to anthocyanins (purple colour water soluble pigments). Anthocyanins have many healing properties.*
This versatile vegetable is used to prepare several savory dishes and desserts. Some of the savory dishes are wafers, pakodas, undhiyu, parathas, chaat and so on. To name a few desserts made with purple yam, they are yam pudding, yam kheer, jam etc. I am here with the recipe of purple yam kheer today. Let us take a look at the recipe.
1 cup boiled and mashed purple yam (kand)
1 tsp clarified butter (ghee )
1 cup milk (doodh)
4 to 5 tbsp sugar or as per taste (cheeni)
a tiny pinch of salt (namak)
1 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
chopped almonds & pistachios (badam and pista)
- To boil the yam, firstly wash the yam thoroughly.
- Place the yam in a pressure cooker.
- Add water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Once the pressure escapes fully, open the lid.
- Allow the yam to cool down. Peel the yam and mash it.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add boiled, mashed yam.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add milk.
- Cook on low flame till the mixture starts boiling.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add salt.
- Keep stirring and cook for few more minutes till the kheer becomes creamy.
- Finally add cardamom powder and chopped nuts.
- Serve hot.
*source of this information is webmd.com
Step by step pictures: