Aliv Laddoos – Maharashtrian style Laddoos made using Garden cress seeds, coconut and jaggery.
Aliv seeds / Halim seeds/ Garden cress seeds are a wonderful addition to our winter diet. Aliv seeds are tiny red coloured seeds loaded with nutrients. They contain folic acid, iron and is known to treat iron deficiency. These nutrient rich seeds are known to be good for hair and skin health. There are different ways of consuming aliv seeds. They can be used to make kheer, laddoos or even can be soaked in milk and consumed. They can be toasted or sprouted and added to soups and salads too.
About Aliv Laddoos
Aliv Laddoos are nutrient rich laddoos made with garden cress seeds, coconut, jaggery and ghee. These laddoos have been an integral part of post-partum diet in India, especially Maharashtra. The seeds are soaked in coconut water for few hours and later cooked with ghee, coconut and jaggery to make laddoos.
Aliv seeds are heat-inducing in nature. Hence it is ideal to consume during winters. In Dietician Rujuta Diwekar’s words, these laddoos are the ultimate power foods and can be consumed as a mid-meal. They are easy to prepare and is a healthy addition to winter diet. The shelf life of these laddoos is short as fresh coconut is used to prepare these laddoos. They can be stored in the refrigerator upto a week.
List of ingredients to make Aliv Laddoos
Aliv Seeds or Garden Cress seeds are the primary ingredient in these laddoos. They are small reddish brown seeds and are packed with nutrients.
Ghee & Fresh coconut : Ghee and coconut adds essential fats to the laddoos.
Jaggery : Jaggery is used as a sweetener in these laddoos
Chopped almonds : Adding almonds is optional but it enhances the taste of the laddoos.
Step-wise recipe with instructions
Break a coconut and collect water in a bowl.
Add aliv seeds. Keep the seeds soaked in coconut water for 3 to 4 hours.
After 3 /4 hours, the seeks would have absorbed coconut water. Keep aside.
Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan. When the ghee melts, add fresh, grated coconut.
Saute for few seconds .
Add soaked aliv seeds and mix well. Saute on low heat for few minutes .
Next add jaggery.
Mix well and cook on low flame until the jaggery melts and the mixture comes together in a fudge like consistency.
Add chopped almonds, cardamom powder and mix.
Allow the mixture to cool down.
Shape into laddoos.
Aliv Laddoos | Halim Laddoos | Garden Cress Seeds Laddoos
- 3/4 cup aliv seeds (garden cress seeds)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 cups of fresh, grated coconut
- 1 cup of coconut water
- 1 ¼ cup of jaggery
- ½ cup finely chopped almonds
- a pinch of cardamom powder
- Break a coconut and collect water in a bowl.
- Add aliv seeds. Keep the seeds soaked in coconut water for 3 to 4 hours.
- After 3 /4 hours, the seeds would have absorbed coconut water. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.
- When the ghee melts, add fresh,grated coconut. Saute for few seconds .
- Add soaked aliv seeds and mix well.
- Saute on low heat for few minutes .
- Next add jaggery.
- Mix well and cook on low flame until the jaggery melts and the mixture comes together in a fudge like consistency.
- Add chopped almonds, cardamom powder and mix.
- Allow the mixture to cool down.
- Shape into laddoos.
- These laddoos can be stored in the refrigerator fora week. The shelf life of these laddoos are short due to fresh coconut added to it.
More Laddoo Recipes
Besan Laddoo with jaggery
Boiled Rice Laddoo
Rava Coconut Laddoo
Paan coconut Laddoo
Vegan Sesame Laddoo
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.