Besan laddoos with jaggery – the ever popular mithai of Indian cuisine made with jaggery instead of sugar.
Laddoos are an emotion for Indians. They are like mother of all sweets. Every region of India has its own version of laddoos. Amongst all laddoos, besan laddoos are my most favourite and that too homemade besan laddoos.
These melt in the mouth laddoos are easy to make and with jaggery used instead of sugar, makes it a tad healthier. Though easy to make, you need to be patient while making these laddoos. The besan has to be cooked really well on low heat to get the rich flavour of laddoos. So, here’s the recipe for besan laddoos with jaggery.
2 cups gram flour (besan)
2/3 cup clarified butter (ghee) How to make ghee at home
1 cup organic jaggery, grated (gud)
3 tbsp chopped almonds (badam)
1 tbsp raisins (kishmish)
1 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- Heat ghee in a pan on low heat.
- Once hot, add besan.
- Roast besan on low heat, stirring continuously.
- Initially, the besan will turn lumpy and it will take some efforts to stir. Keep stirring.
- As it roasts, the besan mixture will start loosening up and become like a thick paste. Keep stirring.
- The besan mixture will change its colour and turn aromatic.
- The mixture will become runny with ghee oozing out.
- This is when the besan is roasted well.
- Turn off the heat and allow this mixture to cool completely.
- Once cooled completely, add chopped almonds, raisins, cardamom powder and grated jaggery.
- Mix well using your fingertips.
- Roll into medium sized laddoos.
- Store in an airtight container and serve as required.
Besan laddoos with sugar : Recipe here
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: