Rava sheera is a simple traditional dessert. Today, on the occasion of Sankashti Chaturthi, make this sheera in the shape of a modak by filling the sheera in modak moulds and offer to “Modakpriya Ganpati Bappa”.
1 cup Rava (semolina)
½ cup ghee (clarified butter)
½ cup warm milk
½ cup hot water
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp kismis (raisins)
1 tbsp chopped cashewnuts
1 tsp elaichi powder (cardamom)
1 small banana (mashed) (optional)
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add the rava and saute on slow flame for 10 to 15 minutes till the rava is well cooked.
- Add the milk, mashed banana, hot water and cook for 3 to 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar, raisins, cashewnuts and mix well.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Once it has cooled a little, fill in the modak moulds.
- Demould and serve rava sheera.
Adding banana to sheera is optional. However, banana gives the sheera a nice flavour, texture and aroma.