Sev Tamatar Sabzi which is known as Sev Tameta nu Shaak in Gujarati is an easy, quick and delicious recipe from the Gujarati cuisine. This tasty sabzi is extremely easy to make and requires minimum ingredients. A tomato gravy is made to which sev is added. The tomato gravy can be made in advance and sev can be added to the gravy close to serving time or else the sev tends to get soggy. Sev Tamatar Sabzi tastes great with chapatis / bajra roti. Here is the recipe:
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
2 tomatoes, finely chopped (tamatar)
1 cup sev
1 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarso)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 green chilly, finely chopped (hari mirch)
1 tsp ginger garlic paste (adrak lehsun paste)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tbsp jaggery powder or grated jaggery (gud)
Salt as per taste (namak)
2 tsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped (hara dhaniya)
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add chopped green chilly and ginger garlic paste.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add asafoetida and saute.
- Now, add chopped onion.
- Saute till the onion turns translucent.
- Next, add chopped tomatoes.
- Saute and cook the tomatoes, till they turn soft.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin coriander powder, jaggery powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add a cup of water and give a mix.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and add sev.
- Give a gentle mix.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- While serving the sabzi, sprinkle some sev over the sabzi and serve with chapatis or bajra roti.
- If you want the sabzi to have watery consistency, you can add more water.
- Add sev to the tomato gravy just before serving or else the sev tends to get soggy. Adding sev close to serving time also gives a nice crunch to the sabzi.
- You can use any kind of sev/ ghatia to make this sabzi. I have used garlic sev.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: