On the eve of Ramzan Eid, I am sharing the recipe of Sheer Khurma. Sheer Khurma is a traditional dessert prepared by the Muslims on Eid. This is more or less like the seviyan kheer. But, in Sheer Khurma, generous quantity of dry fruits alongwith dates are added. Here’s the recipe.
1 cup seviyan (vermicelli)
1 litre milk
5 to 6 tbsp sugar (or as per taste)
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
½ cups almonds (badam) – soaked and peeled
½ cup cashews (kaju) – soaked
½ cup pistachios (pistas) – soaked
6 to 7 dry dates (sookha khajur), soaked and chopped
2 tbsp chironji (charoli), soaked
1 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi)
1 tsp rose water
2 tbsp chopped pistachios and almonds for garnishing
- Soak the dry fruits in hot water for 2 hours.
- Peel the almonds. Deseed the dry dates and chop them.
- Heat a pan and add a tablespoon of ghee.
- Add the almonds, cashews, pistachios, dates and chironji.
- Roast all the dry fruits for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Keep aside the roasted dry fruits.
- In the same pan, add another tablespoon of ghee.
- Add the seviyan (vermicelli) and roast till it turns golden brown.
- Set this aside.
- Heat the milk in a pan.
- Bring it to a boil.
- When the milk reduces in volume, add sugar and mix.
- Keep stirring the milk.
- Add the roasted seviyan to the milk and keep stirring.
- Add roasted dry fruits and mix.
- Further, add cardamom powder and rose water.
- Cook on a slow flame for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve hot or refrigerate and serve cold, garnished with chopped pistachios and almonds.
Instead of rose water, you can even add kewra water.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO