Vaalachi Khichdi – a flavourful khichdi from the Maharashtrian cuisine made with lima beans/field beans/vaal and rice.
Khichdi is the soul food of India. Every region in India has its own version of khichdi ranging from completely bland to spicy, or from vegetarian to non-vegetarian versions. Khichdi is known to be a food for the rich and the poor, for infants and the aged. While most people turn to khichdi when they are sick, there are some khichdis which are made for its sheer flavour. One such khichdi is Vaalachi Khichdi. It is also known as Dalimbi Bhaat. Vaalchi Khichdi is a lipsmacking, spicy khichdi made using vaal, rice, coconut milk and spices. Field beans or vaal is rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals and hence Vaalachi Khichdi is a nutritious one pot meal.
Valachi Khichdi and Sodyachi Khichdi (soda =dried prawns) are the two very popular khichdis prepared by the CKP Maharashtrian community. Today, let us have a look at the recipe for Vaalachi Khichdi.
½ cup long grained rice (chawal)
½ cup sprouted lima beans/field beans (vaal)
2 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
4 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
2 green chillies (hari mirch)
¼ cup fresh coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
1 inch piece of ginger (adrak)
1 large onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
½ cup coconut milk (nariyal ka doodh)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp red chilli powder (laal mirch)
1 ½ tsp garam masala
a small piece of jaggery (gud)
salt as per taste (namak)
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
1 tbsp fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
- Wash rice and soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Blend garlic, ginger, green chillies and coriander leaves to a fine paste. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add asafoetida. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions. Saute for few minutes till the onion slightly changes its colour.
- Now, add the masala paste. Saute for few seconds.
- Add sprouted lima beans (vaal) and saute for few seconds.
- Next, add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garam masala. Mix well.
- Now, add the soaked rice and give a quick mix.
- Add jaggery, coconut milk, salt and mix everything.
- Now, add 1 ¾ cup of hot water.
- After giving a quick mix, cover the pan and allow the rice to cook for 15 to 20 minutes on a low flame, stirring once after 5 to 8 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and grated fresh coconut.
- Serve Vaalachi khichdi with raita and pickle.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
Yet another speciality of the CKP community using vaal is Vaalacha Birda, the recipe for which is here.