Amritsari Fish is a popular fried fish delicacy from the state of Punjab. Boneless fish pieces are marinated with spices and deep fried. This crispy fried fish makes for a perfect appetizer. The unique flavour in this dish come from carom seeds and gram flour. I have used basa fish for this dish. You can use any fish (boneless) of your choice.
500 grams fish
2 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
Salt as per taste
½ cup besan (gram flour)
Oil for deep frying
- Wash the fish pieces and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Add red chilly powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, carom seeds,salt and mix well.
- Each fish piece should be coated well with the spices. Keep this aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add gram flour to the fish and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Drop fish pieces one by one in the hot oil and fry till golden and crisp.
- Drain and place on absorbent paper.
- Serve Amritsari fish with lemon wedges.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
If you love fish, do check the following fish recipes on this blog:
Pomfret Fish Curry
Chilly Garlic Prawns