Butterfly Pea flower Sago Pudding – Sago Coconut milk pudding infused with the blue colour of butterfly pea flowers.
Today is the 7th day of Navratri and the colour of the day is blue. I wanted to make a blue coloured dish as prasad. So what better way than using butterfly pea flowers to impart natural blue colour to the dish. So, here is a simple sago pudding/kheer made using sabudana and coconut milk, infused with the blue colour of butterfly pea flowers. These flowers when infused in warm water emanates blue colour. It is used as a natural colorant and can be used to make sherbats, rice, kheer, dumplings etc. Here is the recipe for Butterfly Pea flower Sago Pudding.
1/3 cup sago (sabudana)
18 to 20 butterfly pea flowers (aparajita / gokarn/ shankapushpi flowers)
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup sugar or as per taste
a pinch of cardamom powder
chopped almonds or any dry fruits
Chopped almonds, few butterfly pean flowers and 1 tsp dessicated coconut for garnishing.
- Boil 3 cups of water.
- Drop in the butterfly pea flowers.
- After few seconds, the flowers will release blue colour.
- When the water turns dark blue and the flowers turn colourless, turn off the heat.
- Discard the flowers and keep blue water aside.
- In a large bowl, add sago and a cup of water.
- Rinse well and drain the water.
- Now add around half cup blue water to the sago and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, sago will turn blue in colour.
- Heat a pan and transfer soaked sago to the pan.
- Add the remaining blue water to the pan.
- Allow the sago to cook on a low flame, while stirring occasionally.
- When the sago is cooked and turns transparent, stir in the sugar and mix well.
- After the sugar dissolves completely, add coconut milk and mix.
- Cook on low flame for a minute.
- Add cardamom powder and chopped almonds.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve this pudding in white coloured bowls garnished with chopped almonds, dessicated coconut and few butterfly pea flowers.
- This Butterfly Pea flower Sago Pudding looks attractive when served in a white bowl.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: