Cabbage Chana Dal Sabzi is a simple sabzi made with cabbage, soaked chana dal and spices. This sabzi pairs well with soft, hot chapatis. Cabbage chana dal sabzi with chapatis also makes for a healthy lunch box recipe. Here goes the recipe for this sabzi:
½ kg cabbage, shredded (patta gobi)
½ cup split Bengal gram (chana dal)
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
1 tomato, finely chopped (tamatar)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarso)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
few curry leaves (kadi patta)
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (lehsun)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
½ tsp garam masala
3 to 4 tbsp fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash and soak chana dal in water for an hour.
- Wash and shred the cabbage and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves and chopped garlic.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and saute for a minute.
- Next, add chopped tomato and saute for few seconds.
- Add the soaked chana dal and mix well.
- Now, add shredded cabbage, mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and give a quick mix.
- Cover the pan and let the vegetables cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Uncover the pan.
- By now, the chana dal and cabbage have cooked well.
- Add chilly powder, garam masala, grated coconut and mix.
- Cover the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Cabbage chana dal sabzi is ready to be served with hot chapatis.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: