It is that time of the year when markets are flooded with red carrots. Red carrots are generally available in winter and are known to be more beneficial than the orange carrots. From improving vision to glowing skin, carrots are loaded with health benefits. Carrots can be eaten raw, boiled, added to stews, soups, salads etc. When the red carrots are available in plenty, there are two dishes which I have to necessarily make……and they are Carrot Halwa and Carrot Pickle. I can’t let the season pass by without making these two dishes.
Carrot Pickle is the most easiest pickle one can ever make. It tastes great with parathas and also makes a great accompaniment with simple dal chawal and roti sabzi. Here’s the recipe:
1 ½ cups of carrot, cut into thin strips (gajar)
1 ½ tsp of yellow mustard powder ( sarson/ rai)
½ tsp of nigella seeds (kalonji)
½ tsp of roasted fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
Salt as per taste
Juice of 1 lemon (nimbu ka ras)
1 tsp oil
- In a mixing bowl, add thin strips of carrots. Add yellow mustard powder, nigella seeds, roasted methi powder, red chilly powder, hing, salt and lemon juice.
- Give it a mix and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil and pour hot oil into the carrot mixture and mix.
- Carrot pickle is ready to be served.
- This can be refrigerated upto 3 to 4 days.
Note: Wash the carrots and wipe the carrot dry before cutting into strips.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: