Come winter and the markets are brimming with red carrots. So, it’s time to indulge in gajar ka halwa. Gajar ka halwa is an irresistible traditional Indian dessert. The recipe given here is a simple recipe but a bit time consuming as the carrots are allowed to cook in the milk on a slow flame. But the final outcome is worth the time spent in cooking this halwa. So, before the red carrots disappear from the market, give this recipe a try.
2 cups grated carrots
2 cups milk
4 to 5 tbsp sugar (Sugar can be adjusted as per your taste)
1 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
2 to 3 tbsp chopped almonds & pistachios
1 tbsp ghee
- Heat a thick bottomed deep pan.
- Add grated carrots and milk.
- Let it cook on a slow flame.
- Keep on stirring occasionally.
- The carrot should cook properly in the milk.
- The milk will reduce in quantity.
- When the milk has reduced considerably, i.e. around 90%, add the sugar and mix it well.
- Keep on stirring the mixture.
- When the milk has evaporated fully, add 1 tbsp of ghee, cardamom powder, chopped almonds and pistachios.
- Mix well and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot or refrigerate and serve chilled.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO