Dahi Chane ki Sabzi, also known as Jaisalmer ke Chane is a dish from Rajasthani cuisine. In places like Jaisalmer and Bikaner, ingredients like gram flour, curds, buttermilk are extensively used in their regular cooking. This particular dish is a yoghurt and gram flour based gravy in which red chanas are cooked. This gravy goes well with Missi Roti, bajra roti and even plain steamed rice.
1 cup red gram (red chana)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
3 dry red chillies
2 bay leaves (tej patta)
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp green chilly-ginger paste
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch powder)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 cup curds (dahi)
2 tbsp Bengal gram flour (besan)
3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, bay leaves, dry red chillies and asafoetida.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add the soaked red chana, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, green chilly-ginger paste, salt and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- In the meantime, in a mixing bowl whisk the curds and gram flour together.
- Open the pressure cooker after the steam has completely escaped.
- Add the curd-besan mixture to the cooked chana and mix well.
- Bring the gravy to a boil while stirring continuously.
- Simmer on slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chopped fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve hot with missi roti or bajra roti or plain steamed rice.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO