Guava cheese with jaggery – a delicious sweet made with red guavas and jaggery without any artificial colours.
Guava cheese or Perad, a delicious Goan Christmas sweet is generally made with sugar. I wanted to try making guava cheese with jaggery for a long time. So, when I had two over-ripe red guavas at home, I decided to make guava cheese with jaggery. The guavas were bright pink in colour . So, when they combined with jaggery, they gave a beautiful colour to the guava cheese. So, here is my guava cheese with jaggery made with over-ripe red guavas without any artificial colours.
2 over-ripe red guavas (laal amrood)
200 grams jaggery (gud)
1 tsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
1 tsp clarified butter (ghee)
- Wash the guavas and cut each guava into 4 pieces.
- Transfer the guavas to a pressure cooker.
- Add half a cup of water. Cook for 2 whistles.
- Open the pressure cooker, after cooker cools down.
- Blend softened guavas to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the guava pulp to a big sieve.
- Gently press the guava pulp in the sieve to separate the seeds of the guava from the pulp. Keep this pulp aside.
- Weigh the pulp. I got 200 grams of guava pulp after straining.
- You can add jaggery as much as the pulp or less, according to your palatte.
- I have used 200 grams of jaggery as the guavas were not too sweet.
- Grease a tray and keep aside.
- Now, heat a thick bottomed pan.
- Add the guava pulp and jaggery. Keep stirring the mixture on a low flame.
- When the mixture starts thickening, add lemon juice and keep stirring.
- Continue stirring till the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- At this point, add ghee. The mixture will turn glossy.
- To test if the mixture has reached the right consistency, put a small portion of the mixture in a small bowl of water.
- If it forms a soft ball without disintegrating in the water, then it is perfectly done.
- When the mixture leaves the pan and comes towards the centre of the pan, transfer it to the greased tray and spread evenly using a spatula.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Cut into desired shapes. Store in an airtight container and serve as required.