Imli Goli or Tamarind Candy is one of my childhood favourites. I could never stop at one and would gobble atleast 5 to 6 candies at a time. Not very long ago, these sweet and sour imli golis, popularly known as jet imlis used to be given by the airlines company during air travel. It was said to reduce air sickness.
Today, on Children’s day, I thought of making these candies to reminisce about old times and also to pamper the child in each one of us at home. Here goes the recipe for Imli Golis
1 cup tamarind (imli)
3 tbsp powdered palm sugar (pisi hui taad ki cheeni)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
1 tsp black salt (kaala namak)
1/2 to 1 tsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
Powdered palm sugar to coat the imli golis
- To start with, the tamarind has to be deseeded and cleaned to remove any unwanted particles.
- Transfer the deseeded tamarind to a mixer jar.
- Add lemon juice and blend to a coarse mixture.
- Now, add palm sugar, red chilly powder, roasted cumin powder, black salt and blend again.
- Transfer this to a plate or a bowl. Now, take a small portion of the mixture and roll into small balls.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- In a plate, spread some powdered palm sugar.
- Coat each imli goli with powdered sugar.
- Once, all the imli candies are made, sprinkle some powdered sugar over them.
- Store in an airtight container and keep in a cool, dry place.
Lemon juice is added to ease the process of blending the tamarind.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
If you love these type of digestive candies, you can check the recipe for Anardana Goli here.