Instant Rava Paniyaram /Rava Appam/ Rava Appe is a delicious, easy to make breakfast dish/tea-time snack.
Generally paniyaram is made with idli batter which requires grinding of the rice and udad dal, fermenting etc. This instant rava paniyaram saves all the hassle of grinding, fermenting and can be made in a jiffy. All you need to do is – mix semolina and curd, keep aside for some time, add chopped vegetables of your choice and cook them in a paniyaram pan.
Though I have added a tempering of udad dal, mustard seeds, onion etc to the batter, you can make it by either adding any vegetables of your choice or by adding oregano, chilli flakes, grated cheese etc. to the batter. Just like Rava dosa and rava idlis, these rava paniyarams turns out very tasty and pairs excellently with tangy orange coconut chutney or green chutney. Here goes the recipe for Instant rava paniyaram
1 ½ cup semolina (rava/sooji)
1 cup curds (dahi)
1 Onion, chopped (pyaaz)
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds (rai/ sarson)
1 tsp split black gram (Udad dal)
1 tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
1 tsp chopped green chillies (hari mirch)
few Curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 tsp Oil (tel)
salt as per taste (namak)
1 tsp eno fruit salt
1 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
Oil for cooking the paniyarams
- In a mixing bowl, add rava and curds.
- Add water to adjust the consistency. Mix well.
- Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add udad dal, mustard seeds, chopped ginger, chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute till the onions turn soft.
- Add this to the paniyaram batter. Mix well.
- Add water, if necessary to adjust the consistency.
- Add chopped coriander, salt and eno fruit salt to the batter and mix well.
- Heat the appam skillet (also known as appam patra or paniyaram pan).
- Add a drop of oil in each of its grooves.
- When the oil heats up, add a spoon full of the above batter in each of the appam grooves.
- Cover the appam skillet with a lid and let the appam cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Flip the appam with the help of a spoon or knife and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Appam is ready to be served.
- Serve hot with chutney.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: