Kachchi Haldi ki Sabzi is a traditional Rajasthani dish specially made in winters when raw turmeric is abundantly available.
Kachchi Haldi ki Sabzi is a popular winter sabzi/curry made in Rajasthan. In winters, fresh turmeric roots are available in plenty. Fresh turmeric is known to generate heat in the body and so this sabzi is popularly made in winters in Rajasthan to keep the body warm in harsh winters. Apart from that turmeric is renowned for its healing properties. It has a compound called curcumin which is a powerhouse of antioxidants. It provides relief from pain, heals injuries and helps in boosting overall immunity. I had this sabzi for the first time at a Marwadi friend’s place and genuinely loved it.
Kachchi Haldi ki sabzi is a great way to add fresh turmeric to your diet in winters. Another must-make dish in winters in Fresh turmeric pickle. This sabzi is made with generous amount of ghee. Turmeric is cooked well in ghee so that the bitterness of turmeric vanishes and later cooked in curds and spices. This sabzi pairs well with chapatis, parathas and bajra rotis.
While making this dish, it is advisable to use hand gloves while peeling and chopping/grating turmeric roots as they tend to leave yellow stains on hands.
Here is the recipe for Kachchi Haldi ki sabzi:
Step-wise recipe with pictures:
Use hand gloves to peel and chop/grate turmeric roots
Chopped turmeric roots
Heat ghee in a pan. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Saute for few seconds
Add chopped garlic and saute till the garlic is roasted well.
Add chopped green chillies and saute.
Add chopped ginger and saute.
Add chopped turmeric roots. Saute till the turmeric is cooked well.
Add chopped onion. Saute for few seconds.
.Add peas and saute.
Add some water and cook covered till the peas turn soft.
Add chopped tomato and saute.
When the tomato turns soft, add Kashmiri chilli powder, cumin coriander powder, salt and mix.
Add whisked curds and mix well.
Cook covered for few minutes.
Add garam masala and mix. . Adding of garam masala is optional.Garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve with chapati/parathas/bajra roti.
Kachchi Haldi ki Sabzi
- 150 grams turmeric root
- 1/3 cup green peas
- 5 tbsp ghee
- 7 to 8 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup curds
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala (optional)
- salt to taste
- Using hand gloves, peel the turmeric roots. Chop/grate turmeric roots. Keep aside.
- Whisk the curds and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped garlic and saute till the garlic is well roasted.
- Add chopped green chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped ginger and saute.
- Next, add chopped turmeric.
- Saute on low flame till the turmeric is cooked well. The turmeric needs to cook well in ghee so that the bitterness vanishes.
- Once the turmeic is cooked, add chopped onion. Saute for a minute.
- Add green peas and mix.
- .Add some water and cook covered till the peas turn soft.
- Next add chopped tomato. Saute for few seconds till tomato becomes soft.
- Add Kashmiri chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder, salt and mix well.
- Add whisked curds and mix. Cover sand cook on low flame for few minutes.
- Add ½ tsp garam masala. Adding of garam masala is optional.
- Finally, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.Serve with chapatis/parathas / bajra rotis
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.