Khajur barfi – an energy boosting snack, rich in protein and iron.
Khajur barfi is a delicious, nutritious dessert/snack made with dates, dry fruits and few healthy seeds. These sugar free barfis make for a healthy snack . It can be had as a mid morning snack or post-workout energy bite or as a dessert after meals.
I have earlier shared the recipe of dry fruits barfi which was made of dates, figs and dry fruits. For this particular khajur barfi, I have used dates, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
Winters are the best time for these burfis as it provides the necessary warmth and nutrients to the body. These easy to make barfis also make for a perfect dessert option for festivals if you are looking for sugar free sweets. They are so delicious that you cannot stop at one.
Here’s the recipe for Khajur barfi:
400 grams soft dried dates (khajoor)
½ cup almonds (badam)
½ cup pumpkin seeds (kaddu ke beej)
¼ cup sunflower seeds (soorajmukhi ke beej)
3 tbsp sesame seeds (til)
2 tbsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
- Deseed the dates and blend them using pulse mode of the mixer.
- Keep the crushed dates aside.
- Chop the almonds keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add poppy seeds. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Keep aside.
- Dry roast chopped almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds one by one. Keep the roasted nuts aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add crushed dates and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the roasted nuts (almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds) and poppy seeds. Mix well. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow this mixture to cool down a little.
- Grease a tray or a plate with little ghee.
- Transfer this mixture to the greased plate.
- Spread it evenly using a spatula.
- Allow this to cool completely.
- You can even keep this in the refrigerator for some time to allow it to set properly.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Store these dry fruit barfis in an air tight container and serve as required.
I have used soft dates which gets easily crushed in the mixer. If the dates are hard, you may have to soak them in water for some time before crushing.
Step by Step Pictures