Milagai Podi also known as Idli podi is a mixture of ground spices like dried red chillies, split black gram, Bengal gram and sesame seeds. South Indians, specially the Tamilians use Milagai podi as a condiment on idlis, dosas and other South Indian dishes. It is mixed with sesame oil or ghee while serving. Whenever I have leftover idli batter, I make mini masala idlis using milagai podi. It makes for a great tea time snack. Lets have a look at the recipe of milagai podi.
10 to 12 dried red chillies
½ cup udad dal (split black gram)
¼ cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
¼ cup til (sesame seeds)
10 to 12 curry leaves
1/2 tsp oil
- Heat a pan and add 1/2 tsp oil.
- Roast the red chillies for 5 to 7 minutes and keep them aside.
- In the same pan, dry roast the chana dal till they change colour and give out aroma.
- Remove and keep it aside.
- Then, roast the udad dal till they change colour and give out aroma. Keep it aside.
- Further roast the sesame seeds. When they start spluttering, remove and keep it aside.
- Roast the curry leaves.
- Allow the roasted ingredients to cool down.
- Remove chilly stems and discard.
- Transfer all the roasted ingredients to a mixer jar and grind them together to a coarse powder.
- Store in an airtight container.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO