Motichoor Thandai Rabdi Trifle – a delicious and attractive dessert to celebrate Holi.
Holi festival is incomplete without thandai. For many, Thandai is a must have drink for Holi and if you are making thandai paste or powder at home, there are many desserts that can be made with it … thandai phirni, thandai rabdi, thandai lassi, thandai cake etc.
Motichoor thandai rabdi is a delicious dessert made by layering thandai rabdi and crumbled motichoor laddoos. Apart from being delicious, this dessert looks very attractive and is perfect for a Holi party. So, here is the recipe :
1 litre milk (doodh)
5 almonds (badam)
5 cashew nuts (kaju)
5 pistachios (pista)
1 tsp watermelon seeds (magaz)
2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1 tsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
1 tsp black peppercorns (kali mirch)
½ cup of sugar (cheeni)
A big pinch of saffron (kesar)
1 tsp of cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
5 to 6 motichoor laddoos
Almond slivers (badam ke barik tukde)
Pistachio slivers (pista ke barik tukde)
Dried rose petals (gulab ke sookhe pankhudiya)
- Soak almonds, cashewnuts, pistachios, watermelon seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, black peppercorns in a bowl of water, for 4 to 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, drain the water and grind all the ingredients to a fine paste. This is the thandai masala.
- In a bowl, take 2 tbsp warm milk.
- Add a big pinch of saffron to it and keep it aside for an hour.
- Heat the milk in a thick bottomed pan.
- When the milk starts boiling, lower the heat and keep stirring.
- Add thandai masala and keep stirring.
- Do this until the milk has reduced to one third of its quantity.
- Add sugar, saffron mixture and mix well.
- Keep scraping the sides of the pan and mix.
- Add cardamom powder and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Let it cool down.
- Refrigerate thandai rabdi for 30 minutes to an hour.
- To assemble the trifle, pour a layer of thandai rabdi in a small glass.
- Crumble motichoor laddoos and spread it over the rabdi.
- Add another layer of rabdi and top it with a layer of motichoor.
- Garnish with almond slivers, pistachio slivers and dried rose petals.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.