Mushroom Rice – a spicy flavourful rice with the goodness of mushrooms and coconut milk.
Mushrooms are edible fungi which were once considered exotic. They are now easily available everywhere and used in hosts of dishes like soups, stir fries, biryanis etc. Mushrooms are low in calories and are known to be rich in Vitamin D and anti-oxidants.
There are various types of mushrooms. The most commonly available are the button mushrooms. They need to be cleaned properly before cooking as they are grown in the wild.
Mushroom rice is a delicious one pot dish made with rice, mushrooms, coconut milk and spices. Mushroom with its meat like texture pairs fantastically with rice and the addition of coconut milk gives a distinct flavour to this dish. Here goes the recipe:
8 to 10 button mushrooms
2 tbsp wholewheat flour to clean the mushrooms (gehu ka aata)
1 cup rice (chawal)
1 large onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp oil (tel)
1 tsp clarified butter (ghee)
4 to 5 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
1 inch ginger (adrak)
3 to 4 green chillies (hari mirch)
½ cup chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp garam masala
1 cup coconut milk (nariyal ka doodh)
1 cup hot water (garam paani)
2 to 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (hara dhaniya)
- Firstly, the mushrooms are to be cleaned thoroughly .
- In a large bowl, add the mushrooms.
- Add water and rinse.
- Drain the water. Add the wholewheat flour and coat mushrooms with it.
- Then add water and rinse thoroughly.
- Drain the water.
- Add water again and wash the mushrooms well.
- Drain the water.
- Pat dry the mushrooms using tissue paper.
- Next, cut the mushrooms into thick slices and keep aside.
- Wash the rice and soak for 30 minutes. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Blend ginger, garlic, green chillies and coriander leaves to a fine paste. Keep this green paste aside.
- Heat a pan. Add oil and ghee.
- Add cumin seeds. When the seeds start spluttering, add chopped onions.
- Saute the onions till they turn golden brown.
- Now, add the green paste and saute for few minutes.
- Add diced mushrooms and saute.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.
- Add soaked rice and give a quick mix.
- Add coconut milk, hot water and mix.
- Cover the lid and cook on a low flame for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once after 8 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve mushroom rice with beetroot raita.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: