Padengi Batata Gassi is a delicious and spicy green gram gravy from the Mangalorean cuisine. (Padengi = Green gram, Batata Gassi = Potato Curry). Sprouted Moong and potatoes are cooked in a rich gravy made of coconut, roasted spices, onion, garlic and tamarind. For Mangaloreans, this is a must have recipe for festivals like Gokulashtami, Ganesh Chaturthi, Dussehra etc alongwith Kadle Manoli Sukka, Mixed Vegetable Sambhar, Moong Dal Payasa and many more dishes. This gravy pairs well with steamed rice, dosa, idli and even chapatis. So, here is the recipe:
2 cup sprouted green gram (moong) (How to sprout pulses)
2 potatoes, peeled and each cut into 4 pieces (aloo)
1 tomato, finely chopped (tamatar)
1 cup grated fresh coconut (nariyal)
1 tsp oil (tel)
5 to 6 dry red chillies (sookhi laal mirch)
1 ½ tbsp coriander seeds (dhaniya)
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarso)
1 onion (pyaaz)
4 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
A marble sized ball of tamarind (imli)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
40 to 50 curry leaves (kadi patta)
salt as per taste (namak)
For the tempering
2 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp mustard seeds (ra / sarso)
3 garlic with skin (lehsun)
1 dry red chilly (sookhi laal mirch)
1 tsp asafoetida (hing)
Few curry leaves (kadi patta)
- Firstly, to make the masala, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add dry red chillies and saute for few minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- Next, add coriander seeds, cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Roast them for a minute on low flame. Remove and keep aside. N
- ow, transfer the roasted spices, roasted red chillies, chopped onion, garlic, tamarind, turmeric powder, curry leaves and grated coconut to a mixer jar.
- Add little water and blend to a smooth paste.
- Keep this masala paste aside.
- Heat a pan.
- Add sprouted moong, potato chunks and chopped tomatoes.
- Add around 2 cups of water into the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook till the moong and potatoes are cooked.
- Once they are cooked, add the masala paste, salt and give a mix. Add water if required to attain the desired consistency.
- Cover and cook for a minute or two.
For the tempering
- Crush the garlic with skin and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds, dry red chilly, asafoetida, crushed garlic and curry leaves.
- When the ingredients start spluttering, pour this tempering into the curry.
- Serve Padengi Batata Gassi with steamed rice, idli, dosa or chapatis.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: