As per Wikipedia, a kathi roll is a street food dish originating from Kolkata, India. It is a skewer roasted kebab wrapped in a paratha, although over the years, many variants have evolved all of which go under the generic name of kathi roll. Wholewheat Paneer Kathi roll is a great recipe which can be also be prepared with leftover chapatis. It makes a good after school snack for kids.
For Paneer Stuffing
2 cups Paneer (cubed)
1 cup Tomatoes, deseeded and diced (tamatar)
1 cup Capsicum, diced
1/2 cup Curds (dahi)
1 tsp Chilli pdr (laal mirch)
1/2 tsp Turmeric pdr (haldi)
1 tsp Cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp Garam masala
1 tsp Ginger garlic paste (adrak lehsun paste)
1/2 tsp gram flour (Besan )
1 tsp Chaat masala
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri methi)
1 tsp Oil (tel)
Salt as per taste (namak)
For the outer roll
1 cup Wholewheat flour (gehu ka atta)
salt as per taste (namak)
1 tsp oil (tel)
For the paneer stuffing
- In a mixing bowl, take curds, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, ginger-garlic paste, besan, chaat masala, kasuri methi and salt and mix well.
- To this marinade, add the paneer, tomatoes, capsicum and mix.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add the above mixture and cook covered on a low flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Keep this aside.
For the Outer roll
- In a mixing bowl, add wholewheat flour and salt.
- Add water little at a time and knead.
- Add 1 tsp oil and knead to a smooth dough.
- Make medium sized balls from the dough.
- Roll out rotis and cook them.
How to proceed
- Place a roti on a plate.
- Spread around 2 to 3 tbsp of the filling in the centre of each roti and roll up tightly.
- Wholewheat paneer kathi rolls are ready to be served.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :
Love rolls and frankies? Do have a look at the Chicken frankie recipe.