Here is a tangy, sweet & spicy chutney made with plums. Plum chutney can be served with just about anything. You can spread it on bread, rotis or serve with nachos, pakodas, crackers, sandwiches, cutlets , dhoklas etc.
6 to 7 plums (Aloo Bukhara)
Jaggery as per taste (Gud)
2 cloves (lavang/laung)
a small piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
a small piece of star anise (chakraphool)
½ tsp grated ginger (adrak)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp roasted cumin powder (jeera powder)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash the plums.
- Deseed and blend to a smooth puree. Keep it aside
- Crush the cloves, cinnamon and star anise into a coarse powder and set it aside.
- Heat a pan. Add plum puree.
- Cook on slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add jaggery as per taste. The quantity of the jaggery will depend on the sweetness/sourness of the plums. Add more jaggery if the plums are sour.
- Cook till the jaggery blends well with the puree.
- Add crushed spices (cloves, cinnamon & star anise), red chilly powder, grated ginger, roasted cumin powder and salt. Mix well.
- Cook on a slow flame till the plum puree attains a thick consistency and all the flavours are well absorbed in the chutney.
- Allow the chutney to cool and store in a glass jar.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO