Rabdi is nothing but thickened sweet milk garnished with saffron and nuts. Milk is simmered and reduced on a low flame till it reaches a semi thick consistency. It is chilled and served as dessert. Rabdi can be enjoyed as a standalone dish or can be served as a topping over hot jalebis, malpuas, kulfis etc. Here goes the recipe:
1 litre milk
3 tbsp sugar
A pinch of saffron (kesar)
Chopped almonds and pistachios
1 tsp of cardamom powder (elaichi)
Pista slivers and Dried rose petals for garnishing
- Heat a broad bottomed pan.
- Add the milk and cook on a slow flame.
- Keep stirring occasionally.
- Remove a tsp milk in a small bowl and add saffron to it.
- Set it aside.
- Allow the milk to boil till it reduces to half its quantity.
- A layer of cream will keep sticking to the sides of the vessel.
- Keep scraping the sides of the vessel.
- When the milk has thickened and reduced to half its quantity, add sugar and mix well.
- Add the saffron mixture, chopped nuts and mix.
- Allow it to cool.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.
- Garnish with pista slivers and dried rose petals while serving.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: