Ragi Idlis – Idlis made with Finger Millet flour
Finger Millet/ Ragi/ Nachni is one of the most nutritive cereals. It is an excellent source of calcium, fibre and has many health benefits. It is a versatile cereal and can be used in number of recipes like idlis, dosas, bhakri, roti, laddoos, pancake etc. Today, lets see how to make ragi idlis.
1 cup finger millet flour (nachni/ ragi flour)
1 cup rice (chawal)
½ cup split black gram (udad dal)
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
2 tbsp flattened rice (poha)
Salt as per taste (namak)
1 tsp oil for greasing idli moulds
- Wash and soak udad dal in water for 3 hours.
- Wash rice and soak in water alongwith methi seeds for 3 hours.
- Soak Poha for 20 minutes.
- Drain the water from udad dal.
- Blend into a fine paste using little water.
- Drain the water from rice.
- Blend rice alongwith methi seeds to a fine paste, using little water.
- In a deep vessel, add udad dal paste, rice paste and ragi flour. Mix well.
- You can add a little water while mixing to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt and mix.
- Keep it aside for 7 to 8 hours for fermentation.
- After 8 hours, the batter would be fermented.
- Grease the idli moulds with oil.
- Pour the idli batter into the idli moulds.
- Boil water in a steamer/idli cooker.
- Place the idli plates in the cooker.
- Cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Unmould the idlis and serve hot with green chutney and Andhra style raw mango chutney.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: