Rasawala Aloo – a delicious potato curry that pairs excellently with pooris.
Potato is a popular vegetable that can be cooked in multiple ways. The sheer versatility of potatoes makes it a popular ingredient in our day to day cooking. Whether you use potatoes in a chaat, a snack, a dry sabzi or a curry, they will never disappoint you. Potato curry can be made in many ways….whether it is a tomato based gravy or a curd based gravy, potato curry always turns out delicious.
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 medium sized onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic
1 inch ginger
1 green chilly
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp fennel seeds (sauf)
1 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
a pinch of garam masala
salt as per taste
1 tbsp roasted dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi )
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Firstly, blend the tomatoes to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- In a mortar pestle, add garlic, ginger, green chilly and crush them to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. When the seeds start crackling, add ginger-garlic-chilly paste and saute for few seconds.
- Now add asafoetida and chopped onion.
- Add salt and cook the onions till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Add tomato paste and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin coriander powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Add chopped potatoes and mix well.
- Add a cup of water and cover the pan.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes on low flame or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Check the consistency of gravy.
- Add water if required, as per the desired consistency.
- Crush the roasted kasuri methi and stir into the gravy.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves
- Serve hot with puris.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: