Raw Mango Curry or Kairichi Udad Methi is a Konkani style raw mango curry.
With mangoes being in season, raw and ripe mangoes are now available in plenty. Both raw and ripe mangoes are used to make various dishes right from salads to desserts. Raw mangoes are known for its cooling properties. They are firm, sour to taste and hence are perfect for making pickles, chutneys and curries.
Kairichi Udad Methi is a coconut based,sweet and sour gravy which pairs well with steamed rice, pickle and papad on the side. Here’s the recipe:
8 to 10 thick long slices of peeled raw mangoes (kairi)
1 tsp oil (tel)
6 dry red chillies (ssokhi laal mirch)
1 tbsp split black gram (udad dal)
a tbsp of coriander seeds (dhaniya)
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
¼ tsp black peppercorns (kali mirch)
¾ cup fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp jaggery, cut into small pieces (gud)
1 lemon sized ball of tamarind (imli)
Salt as per taste
1 tsp oil (tel)
a tsp of split black gram (udad dal)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
a tsp of asafoetida (hing)
few curry leaves (kadi patta)
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add dry red chillies and roast for few minutes.
- Remove the roasted chillies in a bowl.
- Add udad dal and saute till it turns aromatic.
- Remove from the pan and add coriander seeds.
- Roast the coriander seeds for few seconds and remove.
- Add methi seeds and black peppercorns.
- Saute for few seconds and remove.
- Remove the stems from the chillies and keep the roasted ingredients aside.
- In a mixer jar, add grated coconut, all the roasted ingredients, tamarind, little water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Keep this masala paste aside.
- Heat a pan and add the masala paste.
- Add water as per the required consistency.
- Add jaggery and salt.
- Let the curry come to a brisk boil.
- Now, add the raw mango pieces.
- Cook covered for 5 to 7 minutes on medium flame.
- For tempering, heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan.
- Add udad dal and mustard seeds.
- When they start crackling, add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Pour this tempering into the raw mango curry.
- Serve hot with steamed rice alongwith pickle and papad.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: