Phirni is a delicious, creamy dessert made with milk and ground rice. Flavoured with rose syrup, it transforms to a royal dessert which not only tastes great but is also a visual delight. Here goes the recipe.
3 tbsp Rice (chaawal)
10 Almonds (badam)
10 Cashew nuts (kaju)
3 tsp Rose syrup
3 cups full fat Milk (doodh)
4 tbsp Sugar (cheeni)
1 tsp Cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
Chopped almonds and pistachios for garnishing (chopped badam and pista)
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Soak the almonds and cashews in hot water and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water from rice and grind it to a coarse paste.
- Drain the water from soaked nuts and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan, add 3 cups of full fat milk and bring it to boil.
- Allow the milk to boil in medium flame till it reduces to 3/4 of its quantity.
- Now, add the ground rice to the milk and start stirring continuously to avoid the lumps.
- Keep stirring the milk and boil till it becomes a porridge consistency.
- Add almond-cashew paste and mix.
- Stir in the sugar and mix.
- Cook on a slow flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and mix everything well.
- Allow the phirni to cool completely.
- Once the phirni is cooled, add the rose syrup and mix well.
- Transfer to earthen pots or any serving bowl.
- Drizzle few drops of rose syrup and garnish with chopped almonds and pistachios.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO