Rice Phirni, is a delicious and creamy dessert made with milk and ground rice. It is more or less like kheer but unlike kheer, this dish calls for ground rice. It is best served chilled and is a perfect dessert to end a festive meal. Phirni can be made in various flavours like Rose, Mango, Thandai etc. Here goes the recipe for the basic rice phirni:
3 tbsp Raw Rice
10 Cashew nuts
3 cups Milk
4 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Cardamom powder
Chopped almonds and pistachios for garnishing
Few saffron strands (kesar) for garnishing
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Soak the almonds and cashews in hot water and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water from rice and grind it to a coarse paste.
- Drain the water from soaked nuts and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat a sauce pan, add 3 cups of full fat milk and bring it to boil.
- Allow the milk to boil in medium flame till it reduces to 3/4 of quantity.
- Now, add the rice paste to the milk and start stirring continuously to avoid the lumps.
- Keep stirring the milk and boil till it becomes a porridge consistency.
- Add almond-cashew paste and mix.
- Stir in the sugar and mix. Cook on a slow flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and mix everything well.
- Allow the phirni to cool completely.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and few strands of saffron
- Serve Rice Phirni chilled.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
If you love phirnis, then do check the following phirni recipes