Seviyan Kheer – an easy to make creamy dessert with vermicelli, milk, sugar and dry fruits.
Seviyan Kheer also known as Semiya Payasam, Sevai Kheer, Vermicelli kheer is a perfect Indian dessert for any occasion. Broken vermicelli is cooked in milk and sugar and then flavoured with cardamom and nuts. This kheer can be served hot or chilled and is apt to serve at the end of an Indian meal. So, here is the recipe for Seviyan Kheer:
1 litre milk
¾ cup broken vermicelli (seviyan/sevai/semiya)
6 to 7 tbsp sugar or as per taste (cheeni)
1 ½ tsp clarified butter (ghee)
1 tbsp chopped almonds (badam)
1 tbsp chopped cashew nuts (kaju)
1 tbsp chopped pistachios (pista)
1 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi)
few dried rose petals for garnishing (sookhe gulab ki pankhudiya)
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan.
- Add chopped almonds, cashew nuts and pistachios.
- Roast the nuts and keep aside.
- In the same pan add ½ tsp ghee.
- Add broken vermicelli and saute on low flame for 5 to 7 minutes or until it changes colour.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Cook on a low flame stirring occasionally.
- Let the milk come to a boil.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Cook on low flame till the sugar dissolves and the milk starts getting thicker.
- Add fried dry fruits and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Serve hot or refrigerate and serve chilled.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: