Fish lovers out there will agree that Pomfret is one of the tastiest fishes. Any pomfret preparation, whether a simple curry, fried pomfret or fish cutlets, makes for a delicious meal. Today I am sharing a recipe of stuffed pomfret. Pomfret is slit open and filled with a spicy green masala and then shallow fried. The cutting of the fish from one side and creation of a pocket has to be done delicately. I usually get it done from the fishmonger.
2 medium sized Pomfrets
1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp oil
2 onions (chopped)
2 small tomatoes (chopped)
1 tbsp cumin coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp rava (semolina)
3 tbsp rice flour
Oil for shallow frying
Salt as per taste
For the stuffing
½ cup scraped fresh coconut
½ cup fresh coriander
4 green chillies
5 to 6 cloves of garlic
1 ½ inches of ginger
- Clean the fish and make a deep slit on one side of the fish resembling a pocket.
- Marinate the fish by applying 1 tsp turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice and salt evenly on both sides (external side and the pocket) of the fish.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the stuffing.
- For the stuffing, blend fresh coriander, scraped coconut, green chillies, garlic and ginger to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add the chopped onions.
- Saute and cook till they turn brown and soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn soft.
- Add ½ tsp turmeric powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.
- Now, add the ground green masala paste and cook on a slow flame till the moisture in the masala dries up.
- Stuff this masala in the slit section of the fish.
- In a plate, mix the rava and rice flour.
- Coat each fish with the rava-rice flour mixture.
- Shallow fry the fishes.
- Serve hot.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO
If you love pomfret, then do have a look at the recipe of Pomfret Curry.