This recipe is meant for those lazy days when you are in no mood to cook but still have to cook something nutritious for your folks at home. Vegetable Dal Khichdi is a one pot dish which can be made in a jiffy and moreover has all the components of a balanced diet…. Carbohydrates (Rice), Proteins (dal), Vitamins (vegetables) and fats (ghee). Hot Vegetable Dal Khichdi served with curds and pickle is one more dish in the category of comfort food. It’s a simple dish but is sure to satisfy your taste buds and comfort your soul.
1 cup rice (chawal)
½ cup Split green gram (moong dal)
2 tbsp green peas (matar)
1/4 cup chopped carrots (gajar)
1 small potato, chopped (aloo)
1 small onion,chopped(pyaaz)
1 small tomato, chopped(tamatar)
2 to 3 cloves garlic,chopped (lehsun)
1 tsp cumin seeds (Jeera)
1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash and soak rice and moong dal for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker. Add ghee.
- Add cumin seeds, chopped garlic, chopped onion, chopped tomato and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots, chopped potato, green peas, turmeric powder, chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder and mix well.
- Add the washed rice, moong dal and salt. Give it a good mix. Add 4 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- When the pressure escapes fully, open the pressure cooker.
- Serve hot Vegetable Dal Khichdi with curds and pickle.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
If you love khichdi, then do have a look at the following recipes: