Palak Khichdi – a one dish meal packed with nutrition and taste. Palak Khichdi is a perfect balance of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and fats because of rice, lentils, spinach and ghee respectively. The recipe may seem a bit intimidating/time consuming, but it is worth the effort. Take a look at the recipe:
½ cup rice (chawal)
½ cups split green gram (moong dal)
2 ½ cups water (paani)
1 bunch spinach (palak)
1 large onion, chopped (pyaaz)
1 large tomato chopped (tamatar)
1 tsp ginger garlic paste (adrak lehsun paste)
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red chilly powder (laal mirch powder)
1 tsp cumin coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp grated garlic
1 dry red chilly (broken to large pieces)
Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak rice and moong dal in water for 1 hour.
- Drain the water and transfer the rice and dal to a pressure cooker.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, 2 ½ cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Keep the cooked rice and dal aside.
- Wash spinach in cold water.
- Boil water in a pan.
- Add spinach leaves to the boiling water and keep in the boiled water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain water from spinach.
- Dip the spinach in cold water (to retain the dark green colour).
- Blend the blanched leaves to a smooth puree. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add chopped onions.
- Saute the onions till it turns golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute.
- When the onion and tomatoes have cooked well, add the palak puree, red chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add the cooked rice and dal and gently mix everything.
- For the tempering, heat a small pan.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Add grated garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add pieces of dry red chilly.
- When they start spluttering, pour the tempering over the khichdi.
- Serve hot with curds, pickle and papad.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO