Whole-wheat Chicken Baida Roti – a popular street food of Mumbai made by stuffing chicken kheema and eggs in a roti and then pan frying it.
Chicken Baida Roti is a family favourite. We had Jafferbhai’s Delhi Darbar outlet close to our place and so whenever we ordered food from there, Chicken or mutton baida roti was a must. Chicken/Mutton baida roti served with mint coriander chutney makes for a good appetizer and is filling enough to be served as a meal by itself. Baida roti is generally made using refined flour (maida). But I prefer using wholewheat flour to make baida roti. Here’s the recipe for Whole-wheat Chicken Baida Roti:
400 gms chicken mince/kheema
1 ½ cups wholewheat flour
1 tbsp oil + 1 tsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp red chilly powder
1 tbsp cumin coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chicken masala (optional)
salt as per taste
½ cup coriander leaves, chopped
oil for cooking baida roti
To make the chicken stuffing
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start crackling, add ginger garlic paste and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and saute.
- Add chopped green chillies.
- Saute till the onion turns translucent.
- Add chicken kheema.
- Saute and cook on low flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, cumin coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken masala and cook for a minute.
- Finally add chopped coriander and give a mix.
- Transfer chicken kheema to a bowl and keep aside.
For the roti dough
- In a mixing bowl, add wholewheat flour and salt.
- Add water as required and knead into a smooth, stiff dough.
- Finally, add 1 tsp oil and knead for few minutes.
- Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Now, break 2 eggs and add to the chicken kheema and mix well.
- Further, divide the dough into small equal dough balls.
- Take a dough ball and roll into a thin roti.
- Place 3 to 4 tbsp of chicken mixture in the centre of the roti and spread a little.
- Fold the roti from all sides giving it a square shape.
- Heat a pan and place the roti on the pan.
- Drizzle oil around the roti.
- Shallow fry till it is cooked well from all sides and turns crisp and golden brown.
- Cut the baida roti into square or rectangular pieces.
- Repeat the same with remaining dough balls.
- Serve chicken baida roti with mint coriander chutney.
With the quantity mentioned above, I made 5 baida rotis and cut each baida roti into 3 rectangular pieces.
I have added only 2 eggs to the chicken mixture. You can add more eggs if you wish.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: