Churumuri – a popular street food of south Karnataka.
Like the Girmit of Dharwad, Churmuri is the most loved street food of Mangalore, Udupi, Bangalore and Mysore region. It is the south Indian version of Mumbai’s bhelpuri. However, unlike Mumbai’s bhelpuri, churmuri does not need any chutney.
I love Churmuri for its sheer simplicity. All you need to do is mix roasted puffed rice with chopped veggies, peanuts, red chilly powder, coconut oil with a dash of lime. This quick and easy snack pairs well with a hot cup of tea.
List of ingredients
Veggies : onion, tomato and carrot
Red chilly powder
Step-wise recipe with pictures
Heat a pan and add puffed rice. Saute for few minutes.
Transfer the roasted puffed rice to a mixing bowl.
Add salt, red chilly powder, coconut oil and mix well.
Next add chopped onion, tomato, raw mango, grated carrot, roasted peanuts, chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well.
Lastly add sev and give a quick mix.
Churumuri is ready to be served with hot cup of tea.
- 3 cups of puffed rice
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp spicy red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped raw mango
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup thin sev
- Heat a pan and add puffed rice.
- Saute for few minutes.
- This step is entirely optional.
- However it makes the puffed rice crispy.
- Transfer the roasted puffed rice to a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, red chilly powder, coconut oil and mix well.
- Next add chopped onion, tomato, raw mango, grated carrot, roasted peanuts, chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well.
- Lastly add sev and give a quick mix.
- Churumuri is ready to be served with hot cup of tea.
More Puffed Rice Recipes
Thank you for stopping by. If you like/ tried this recipe, leaving a comment below the post will enable more readers and cooking enthusiasts to discover these recipes. Also, if you are on Instagram, do share a picture of the dish and tag @vanitascorner to be featured in my stories.
Subscribe to my youtube channel for easy video recipes.