Sukha Bhel – a quick snack for those sudden hunger pangs.
Sukha bhel is a popular street food from Mumbai. The key ingredient in sukha bhel is the dry chutney which can be made and stored for a few days. Sukha bhel or dry bhel is a dry variant of bhel puri. Bhel puri is is made by adding green chutney and sweet chutney to puffed rice alongwith other ingredients. But dry bhel is made without any wet chutneys. Dry bhel makes for a perfect evening snack. Here goes the recipe:
For the dry chutney (sukha chutney)
2 cups of coriander leaves
1 cup of mint leaves
2 green chillies
1/3 cup roasted chana dal
a small piece of ginger
¼ tsp dry mango powder (aamchoor)
¼ tsp black salt (kala namak)
a pinch of salt
4 cups puffed rice (kurmura)
½ cup chopped onions
½ cup boiled potatoes, chopped
2 tbsp chopped raw mango
3 tbsp chopped tomato
3 tbsp roasted peanuts
3 tbsp roasted chana
3 tbsp masala chana dal
8 to 10 papdis, broken into small pieces
½ cup nylon sev
½ tsp black salt
1 tsp chaat masala
2 tsp lemon juice
Nylon sev and chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- To make the dry chutney, into a mixer jar add coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies, ginger, roasted chana dal, aamchoor, black salt, salt and blend without adding any water.
- Dry chutney is ready.
- This can be stored in the refrigerator for 10 days.
- To make sukha bhel, take a large mixing bowl.
- Add kurmura, chopped onions, chopped boiled potatoes, chopped tomatoes, chopped raw mango, roasted chana, roasted peanuts, masala chana dal, papdis, nylon sev, black salt, chaat masala and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Garnish with nylon sev and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve immediately.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: