Girmit, the south Indian cousin of the Mumbai bhel is a popular street food form the Dharwad region of north Karnataka. It is prepared by mixing puffed rice (kurmura / churmura/ murmura) with a special masala made with onion, tomato, chillies, tamarind , jaggery and flavoured with chopped coriander and crunchy peanuts. It makes for a perfect tea-time snack. If you have never tasted this before, here’s the recipe for the famous Girmit of Dharwad.
2 ½ cups of puffed rice (kurmura/murmura/ churmuri)
1 large onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
1 small tomato, finely chopped (tamatar)
2 green chillies (hari mirch)
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai/ sarson)
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
Few curry leaves (kadi patta)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
3 tbsp roasted chana dal (bhuna chan dal/ daria)
2 tsp jaggery, broken into pieces (gud)
1 lemon sized ball of tamarind (imli)
1 tsp oil (tel)
3 tbsp sev
3 tbsp roasted peanuts (bhuna mungphali)
Salt as per taste (namak)
2 tbsp Chopped onions (pyaaz)
2 tbsp Chopped tomatoes (tamatar)
2 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya)
3 tbsp Sev
- In a small bowl, add tamarind, jaggery and ½ cup water.
- Keep this aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, squeeze the tamarind and jaggery well in the water.
- Strain and keep tamarind-jaggery pulp aside.
- Blend roasted chana dal to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add chopped onions.
- Saute till the onions turn golden brown and soft.
- Add chopped green chillies.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Saute and cook till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add turmeric powder, tamarind-jaggery pulp, salt and mix.
- Cook on a slow flame for few minutes.
- Add 2 tsp chana dal powder and mix. Cook for a minute.
- Girmit masala is ready. Keep this aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the puffed rice, remaining chana dal powder, sev and peanuts. Give it a mix.
- Add the girmit masala and mix well.
- Serve immediately garnished with chopped onions, tomatoes, sev and fresh coriander.
I have used store bought roasted peanuts. But you can dry roast raw peanuts and use in this recipe.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: