Handvo – a healthy and delicious Gujarati breakfast dish.
Gujarati cuisine is famous for theplas, dhoklas, khandvis, paatras, khakras and many more mouth watering dishes. These dishes can be served at breakfast as well as tea time snacks. Handvo is another interesting dish from Gujarati cuisine. It is a savoury cake made with assortment of ingredients like rice, lentils, vegetables etc. Handvo can be termed as a complete meal as it has rice, dals, vegetables and spices in it. It is generally served with green chutney. Here goes the recipe for Handvo:
1 cup rice (chawal)
½ cup split Bengal gram (chana dal)
¼ cup split green gram (moong dal)
1 tbsp split black gram (udad daal)
1/3 cup curds (dahi)
1 tbsp ginger green chilly paste (adrak hari mirch paste)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch powder)
2 tsp sugar (cheeni)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ka ras)
¾ cup grated carrot (gajar)
½ cup grated bottle gourd (lauki/doodhi)
½ cup chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
1 tsp eno fruit salt
salt as per taste (namak)
Ingredients for the tempering of one handvo (The above ingredients will make 2 handvos)
2 to 3 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarso)
½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
2 tsp sesame seeds (til)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- Wash and soak rice, chana dal, moong dal, udad dal in water for 5 to 6 hours.
- Drain the water.
- Blend the rice and lentils alongwith curds to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the batter to a vessel and keep it for fermenting for 7 to 8 hours.
- To the fermented batter, add ginger-green chillies paste, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, sugar, salt, oil, lemon juice and mix well.
- Next, add grated carrots, grated bottle gourd, chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Now, add eno and give a quick mix.
- Heat a non-stick pan.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp oil.
- Add mustard seeds, carom seeds, asafoetida and sesame seeds.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Pour half the batter to make a thick layer.
- Spread it evenly.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the base turns crisp.
- Lift the handvo gently using a flat ladle and flip it.
- Cook on the other side for few minutes.
- Cool slightly and cut into desired shapes.
- Repeat the same with the remaining batter to make another handvo.
- Serve the handvo with green chutney and tomato sauce.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: