Chakli, a savoury snack is made from different type of flour, i.e. rice flour, maida, besan, wheat flour etc. Here, I have used rice flour, to which I have added a paste made of udad dal, moong dal and channa dal. This is an instant version of the chakli that my mom makes. She follows the traditional procedure of making chaklis which involves washing and drying of rice, roasting rest of the pulses and grinding all of them together to a powder, then kneading the dough and making chaklis. But if you want to make chaklis in a small quantity to serve as an evening snack for kids, this instant version comes very handy. Do try this simple instant chakli recipe.
2 cups Rice flour
2 tbsp Udad dal (Split black gram)
2 tbsp Channa dal (Split Bengal gram)
2 tbsp Moong dal (Split green gram)
1 tbsp Carom seeds (Ajwain)
1 tbsp Sesame seeds (Til)
1 tbsp Chilly powder
2 tbsp Butter
Salt as per taste
Hot water to knead the dough
Oil for frying the chaklis
- Wash and soak udad dal, channa dal and moong dal in water for 2 hours.
- Grind all the dals to a fine paste.
- In a mixing bowl, mix this paste, rice flour, carom seeds, sesame seeds, chilly powder , butter, and salt.
- Use hot water, little at a time, to knead the dough.
- The dough should neither be too smooth nor too stiff.
- Fill the chakli maker with the dough and make chaklis on a plastic sheet or butter paper.
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Fry 4 to 5 chaklis at a time, depending on the size of the pan.
- Fry the chaklis till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Cool the chaklis and store.