Lasooni Palak – Spinach cooked with onion, tomato,spices and tempered with generous amount of garlic.
Lasooni Palak is a simple, healthy, delicious sabzi that works great for everyday menu. The tempering of garlic added to this sabzi makes it very flavourful and goes best with chapatis, lachcha parathas, bajra rotis and finger millet rotis. Here is the recipe for Lasooni palak.
1 big bunch of spinach (palak)
1 large onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
1 small tomato, finely chopped (tamatar)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste (adrak lehsun paste)
3 to4 green chillies (hari mirch)
2 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch powder)
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder (dhaniya jeera powder)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp fresh cream (malai)
2 tsp clarified butter (ghee)
2 tbsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 dry red chilly (sookhi laal mirch)
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash spinach in cold water.
- Boil 3 to 4 cups of water in a pan.
- Add spinach leaves to the boiling water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain water from spinach.
- Dip the spinach in cold water (to retain its dark green colour).
- Transfer blanched leaves to a mixer jar.
- Add green chillies and blend to a smooth puree. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add ginger garlic paste and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions.
- Saute till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato.
- When the onion and tomatoes have cooked well, add the palak puree and give a good mix.
- Add water as per the desired consistency.
- Add chilly powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.
- Cook covered on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Now, add fresh cream and give a quick mix.
- Cook for another two minutes.
- In a small pan, heat 2 tsp ghee and add the chopped garlic and saute.
- Add the dry red chilly.
- Saute till garlic is fried well.
- Add this garlic chilly tempering to the palak gravy.
- Serve Lasooni palak with rotis.