Makar Sankranti is around the corner. Makar Sankranti, the harvest festival is celebrated in different manner in different states of India. As regards food, sesame seeds, groundnuts, sugarcane, rice, jaggery etc. are important ingredients used in preparing various dishes, to celebrate this festival. Some of the common sweets prepared for Makar Sankranti are til laddoos, til chikkis, til vadis, sweet Pongal, peanut chikkis etc. Today, let us see how to make peanut chikkis.
1 cup raw peanuts (moongphali)
1 cup chikki jaggery (chikki gud)
1 tsp sugar (cheeni)
1 tsp clarified butter (ghee)
- Heat a pan and add peanuts.
- Dry roast the peanuts for 8 to 10 minutes till they turn aromatic and start changing colour.
- Allow them to cool down.
- Remove their skin and break few peanuts into small pieces.
- Heat a deep non stick pan.
- Add the jaggery (grated or broken into small pieces).
- Simmer over a slow flame till the jaggery melts and caramalizes.
- Add sugar, ghee and mix it with the jaggery.
- To check if it is properly done, add a drop of melted jaggery in cold water.
- It should form a hard ball.
- Turn off the heat.
- At this stage, add the roasted peanuts and mix thoroughly with the melted jaggery.
- When the mixture is still warm, drop the mixture on to a parchment paper and spread it using a spatula.
- Allow it to cool.
- Cut into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: