Upma, a common South Indian breakfast item is a wholesome and tasty dish which you can rustle up in no time. I am sharing the basic rava upma recipe. However, upma can be made in number of ways. There’s tomato upma, vegetable upma, masala upma, semiya upma, oats upma, broken wheat upma…. the list is unending. Though simple and quick to make, this is a super tasty dish. The aroma of the roasted rava being cooked in the tempering of ghee and spices is just awesome. A bowl of piping hot upma is the best way to begin your day with and it will surely keep you full for a few hours. Here goes the recipe:
1 cup semolina (rava)
3 cups water (paani)
2 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
2 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarson)
1 tsp split black gram (udad dal)
10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
10 to 12 cashew nuts (kaju)
3 green chillies, slit vertically (hari mirch)
1 tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
1 large onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
A pinch of sugar (cheeni)
Salt as per taste (namak)
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped (dhaniya)
- Heat a pan and dry roast the rava till it turns aromatic. Keep this aside.
- Heat another pan and add the ghee and oil.
- Add mustard seeds, udad dal, curry leaves, green chillies, cashews and saute.
- Add chopped ginger, chopped onions and saute well for a minute or so.
- Now, add the water and allow it to boil.
- When the water starts boiling,add sugar and salt.
- Now, add the roasted rava and keep stirring to avoid formation of lumps.
- Rava will absorb the water and get cooked.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix.
- Serve Rava upma with coconut chutney or just as it is.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO