Red Radish Sabzi – a simple sabzi with minimum ingredients.
Winters are here and so are hosts of vegetables that come with it. Markets are flooded with fresh leafy greens like mustard greens, bathua, green garlic, red radish and other seasonal vegetables like red carrots, surti papdi, green peas, fresh pigeon peas etc. Apart from some must-make winter dishes like sarson ka saag, undhiyu, gajar halwa, there is one sabzi which I make a point to make in this season and that is red radish stir fry.
Red radishes are available only during winters and I must admit that more than the taste, I buy them for their sheer beauty. Apart from looking beautiful, they are high in fibre and are packed with vitamins and antioxidants. Red Radish sabzi is a simple sabzi with minimum ingredients and tastes great with hot phulkas. Here goes the recipe for red radish sabzi :
2 bunches of red radish (laal mooli)
1 small onion, chopped (pyaaz)
3 cloves of garlic, chopped (lehsun)
2 to 3 green chillies, roughly chopped (hari mirch)
1 tbsp oil (tel)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai/ sarso)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
few curry leaves (kadi patta)
2 tbsp fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash the radish and its leaves. Cut the radish into thin roundels. Chop the leaves and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, chopped garlic, curry leaves, chopped green chillies, chopped onions and saute for few minutes.
- Add radish roundels, chopped greens and mix well.
- Add salt and give a quick mix.
- Cover and cook for 7 to 10 minutes on low flame.
- Now, add fresh coconut and mix.
- Cover and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Red radish sabzi is ready to be served with hot phulkas.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO: