An easy yet tasty rice preparation using tomatoes. I have earlier posted a recipe of tomato rice which was made using tomatoes with carom seeds and black pepper. This South Indian style tomato rice is made using sambar powder and it tastes just yumm. And yes, leftover rice can be used to make this. Here goes the recipe :
2 cups cooked rice (chawal)
3 tomatoes (tamatar)
2 tsp oil (tel)
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
½ tsp split black gram (udad dal)
3 cloves (laung/lavang)
A small piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
Few curry leaves (kadi patta)
½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
1 onion, finely chopped (pyaaz)
2 tbsp sambar powder
Salt as per taste (namak)
- Wash the tomatoes and blend into a smooth puree and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add oil.
- Add mustard seeds, split black gram, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon and saute.
- When they start crackling add chopped onions.
- Saute till the onion turns golden brown.
- Add tomato puree and mix.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, sambar powder and salt.
- Mix everything well and cook covered for 5 to 8 minutes. The raw smell of tomatoes should go away.
- Now add the cooked rice and mix well so that each and every grain of rice is coated with the tomato mixture.
- Tomato rice is ready to be served. Serve hot with raita and papad.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :