Thokku means a spicy cooked pickle that looks more like a chutney. It is served as an accompaniment with rice and also pairs well with dosas. Tomato thokku is made by cooking ripe tomatoes with oil and spices. Thokkus are also made with raw mangoes, raw ginger etc. Tomato thokku, if refrigerated, remains good for 10 to 12 days. Here’s the recipe:
½ kg tomatoes
1 inch piece of tamarind (imli)
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp fenugreek sees (methi seeds)
2 tsp mustard seeds (rai/ sarson)
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
Few curry leaves (kadi patta)
7 to 8 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
1 tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp red chilly powder (laal mirch)
Salt as per taste
- Wash the tomatoes and chop them.
- Blend the tomatoes alongwith tamarind to a smooth puree. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add methi seeds and mustard seeds.
- When they start crackling, add hing and curry leaves. Saute for a second.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes .
- Now, add the tomato puree.
- Mix well and cook.
- Add jaggery, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook covered for few minutes.
- The tomato should be cooked well.
- The mixture will turn thick.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Store this in a glass jar.
- Refrigerate and serve as and when required. This remains good for 10 to 12 days.
I have used cherry tomatoes in this recipe. However, it can be made with regular tomatoes, too.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO :