There are various chutneys that can be served with idli, dosa and other South Indian snacks. This spicy and tangy tomato chutney is one of them.
1 cup tomato chopped
¼ cup onion chopped
2 green chillies chopped
1 tsp chana dal
1 tsp udad dal
Few curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp oil
Salt as per taste
1 tsp oil
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
¼ tsp mustard seeds
A few curry leaves
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add the chana dal, udad dal, curry leaves, green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt and saute till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Let this cool completely.
- Grind the mixture for a few seconds to get a semi-coarse chutney.
- For the tempering, heat 1 tsp oil.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Saute for a few seconds.
- Pour over the tomato chutney.
- Serve with dosas, idlis, medu wada etc.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO