There are various chutneys that can be served with idlis, dosas and other South Indian snacks. Some of the chutneys generally served with South Indian snacks are Green (Coconut) Chutney, White (Coconut) Chutney, Tomato Coconut Chutney etc. This tomato chutney is spicy, tangy and pairs perfectly with idlis, dosas and other South Indian snacks. Here is the recipe for the Tomato Chutney.
1 cup tomato chopped
¼ cup onion chopped
2 green chillies chopped
1 tsp chana dal
1 tsp udad dal
Few curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp oil
Salt as per taste
1 tsp oil
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
¼ tsp mustard seeds
A few curry leaves
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add the chana dal, udad dal, curry leaves, green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt and saute till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Let this cool completely.
- Grind the mixture for a few seconds to get a semi-coarse chutney.
- For the tempering, heat 1 tsp oil.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Saute for a few seconds.
- Pour over the tomato chutney.
- Serve with dosas, idlis, medu wada etc.
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO