Idlis, dosas and other South Indian snacks are served with variety of chutneys on the side. This Tomato Coconut chutney is a popular chutney served with dosas in Tamil Nadu.
1 tomato chopped
1 medium onion chopped
¼ cup fresh coconut
½ tsp udad dal (split black lentils)
½ tsp chana dal (split Bengal gram)
3 to 4 dry red chillies
Few curry leaves
1 tsp oil
Salt as per taste
1 tsp oil
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
½ tsp mustard seeds
A few curry leaves
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the chana dal, udad dal, red chillies, curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped tomato and onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut and salt and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Blend the mixture to a fine paste.
- For the tempering, heat 1 tsp oil.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Saute for a few seconds.
- Pour over the chutney.
- Serve with medu wada, dosas, idlis etc.