Amritsari Udad Dal Pinni – a winter delicacy, loaded with desi ghee and dry fruits. It is served as a dessert.
The first time I tasted Udad dal Pinni was nearly 10 years ago when a friend had got them from Amritsar. I had absolutely loved it then. Udad dal pinnis are loaded with desi ghee and dry fruits. They are very rich in calories. But they are so delicious that you tend to overlook the calories.
Pinni is a traditional Punjabi sweet. The most commonly made pinni is the whole wheat flour or aata pinni. Udad dal pinni is generally made during winters. It is made with generous amount of ghee and dry fruits, which is known to provide warmth during chilly winters. These pinnis are absolutely delicious.
During winter, I make it a point to make certain dishes like undhiyu, sarso ka saag, gajar halwa and gud papdi. Udad dal pinni, another winter delicacy was on my to-do list for a long time. So, I looked up a few recipes on internet for making udad dal pinnis. Most recipes had used sugar to make these pinnis. I have replaced sugar with jaggery. But, the end result took me back to that moment, when I had tasted Udad dal Pinnis from Amritsar. So, here is the recipe for Udad dal pinnis.
1 cup split black gram (udad dal)
¾ cup + 2 tsp clarified butter (ghee)
¾ cup khoya (mawa)
2 tbsp edible gum (gond)
2 tbsp whole wheat flour (gehu ka aata)
1 ½ cup jaggery (gud), grated or chopped into small pieces
2 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
8 to 10 almonds, each split into two (badam) – for garnishing
½ cup mixed nuts, chopped – almonds, cashews, pistachios (badam, kaju, pista)
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
- Wash udad dal and soak for 4 to 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, drain the water and blend into a smooth paste using very little water. Keep this aside.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan.
- Add split almonds and roast till they turn crisp. Remove and keep aside.
- Now, add chopped nuts and roast for few seconds. Keep aside.
- Add another teaspoon of ghee.
- Add edible gum and fry till they puff up. Remove and crush them to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Now, add ¾ cup ghee in a pan.
- When the ghee starts melting add udad dal paste.
- Keep stirring on a low flame till the mixture turns golden brown in colour and attains a crumbly texture. This will take around 35 to 40 minutes.
- Now, move the mixture to a corner of a pan. Add wholewheat flour into the pan, saute for few seconds and then mix with the mixture.
- Next, add crushed edible gum, mawa and mix well.
- Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the chopped, fried nuts and mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat and keep aside.
- Now heat a saucepan.
- Add jaggery. Add around 2 tbsp water and cook. The jaggery should melt completely and form a syrup with one-string consistency.
- Pour the jaggery syrup into udad dal mixure. Mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and mix.
- Allow this mixture to cool completely.
- Now, shape this mixture into pinnis as per desired shapes.
- Garnish each pinni with fried, split almonds and pistachios.
- Store in an airtight container and serve as required.